Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Sleeping positions

It has been getting more difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. And I know it will only get more difficult!

"The Books and the Internet" say that after 16 weeks, one should no longer sleep flat on their back for fear of the weight of the uterus pressing down on some huge important artery "that takes blood from the lower half of your body and takes it back to your heart" gets squashed. (whew, that was a long run-on sentence!).

God forbid I unknowingly and unwillingly halt all blood flow to my baby and placenta.

Well, guess what?

It's easier said than done to avoid sleeping on your back. I get this paranoid feeling if I wake up during the middle of the night and realize I am on my back. I think to myself, "How long have I been like this?" and "Please, sweet BB, give me a little kick so I know you're okay." And then I either feel a kick or I don't. And if I don't, I do the only thing I can do...I flip to my left side and hope I feel a kick later! I mean, women have been having babies for years, and there weren't always "the books and the internet" to tell them what to do and what not to do. And those same "books and internet" say the left side is the best for baby!

And for the record, I loooooove sleeping on my stomach. However, the past few weeks have not been conducive to my favorite sleep position. It hurts a little and I can feel BB kick immediately in response to me crushing its growing quarters. But this morning, I got to have a few minutes of glorious stomach sleeping before I couldn't take it anymore and had to flip over.

::imagine angels singing HALLELUJAH and flowy, harp music playing::

Rumor has it that someone invented a body pillow called a Snoogle to help pregnant women sleep. But I'm too cheap to pay that much for a pillow that I don't know if I will end up loving or hating.

***edited to add***
My baby sister Karol has so generously offered to buy me the Snoogle pillow for Christmas! She's such an awesome sister and is going to be a wonderful aunt to the BB! Thank you, Lolee!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I actually slept on my belly for almost my whole first pregnancy - yikes! Bad! I was enormous for the second so I was just happy that I could go from sitting to supine without injuring myself. Just experiment to find the most comfortable. It's different for everyone.