Thursday, October 23, 2008

Change of Plans

My college graduation 1998...braces and all!







Lewis at his college graduation 1995



Tomorrow is the day that Lewis and I were supposed to head to ACU for my 10 year college reunion. But we're not going.

ACU is where Lewis and I met in the Fall of 1994.

I was on the cross country team with Jerome, and Lewis was in the social club, Frater Sodalis, with Jerome. Jerome really wanted to go out with Stephanie, one of my BFF who was also on the cross country team. But Stephanie would only agree to go out with him if I could go as well. So Jerome told me he had a friend (Lewis) who wanted to meet me, and he told Lewis that a girl on the cross country team (me!) wanted to meet him. It was all a big farce that neither Lewis or I knew anything about.

Needless to say, Jerome and Stephanie never went out and neither did Lewis and I, but a friendship was forged and here we are 14 years later, married and expecting a baby.

I can still remember the first time I met Lewis. It was after Chapel and we were walking towards The Bean (the cafeteria at ACU) and I can even tell you what I was wearing. Not that I will, because it was a hideous outfit. *grin* I noticed his dimples and his signature "walk". And I thought he was hot. I also assumed that since Jerome was an international student, Lewis was as well. He wasn't, unless you count Florida as a foreign country.

Lewis and I are not big alumni fans, and we've been on campus only a handful of times since we graduated, but I was really looking forward to seeing people I hadn't seen in 10 years. I was especially especially especially looking forward to going to Chapel.

Chapel was one of my favorite things about ACU. (I also loved going to Sunday Night Devo's.) It was mandatory that all students attend, and I loved it. I was exempt my Senior year because I had to work, but I missed attending. I recall graduating and thinking at 11am every week day, "They're having Chapel right now".

We were supposed to meet up with some friends who also attended ACU, but unfortunately, they will be unable to make it. Then, Lewis told me last week, that there might be something at work that could overflow into that weekend. Monday, he confirmed that one of the projects he is working on will "go live" this weekend, and he has to be available. So he definitely can't make it.

I could still technically drive down and attend by myself, but I don't want to do it by myself. I don't want to go pregnant and husband-less. Going to the ACU vs WT football game last weekend really got me excited for Homecoming, too.

I was also really looking forward to spending time with my friends. We don't get together often enough. I was also wanting to visit with my parents, and show them the professional wedding album we just received from our photograper. And I wanted them to see my little baby bump, since we haven't seen each other since week 7.

So we'll be in Amarillo this weekend. Monday is the Southwest Spirit Party in Dallas, and I am hoping Lewis can get away for half a day to attend. It promises to be the biggest Spirit Party in history since it will be Herb and Colleen's last one since the will be retiring.

I will be working Halloween, by choice. I may have to get some cutesy things to make it more festive on the airplane for our passengers.

In other news, my brother's 31st bday was yesterday. Happy Birthday Ric!

This Saturday will be mine and Lewis' engagement anniversary. How time flies!

No comments: