Friday, January 12, 2007

Welcome to 2007

Geez, just because I didn't work this week doesn't mean I didn't have other things going on. At least I'm not like Karol, who hasn't updated her blog since JULY. BTW, she and Brandon will be in Texas the next two weeks visiting. Woo Hoo!

For one, I've been sick. I rarely get sick. I rarely go to the doctor. I rarely take prescription meds. This week, I have done all three.

I did work last week after not working so much in December. I think that's what got me sick. Not the taking off part, but the going back to work part. I remember telling Lewis that there were so many sick people on my planes. At work, my department is constantly being harped on that we call in sick too often. Granted, there are some who abuse the system, but I wonder if it has ever occured to management that maybe the reason we get sick more often than other departments in that we are stuck in a metal tube with recycled air with passengers who hand us germy cups, napkins, and who knows what else? I even wear latex gloves when I pick up trash and wash my hands like an OCD freak, and I STILL got sick.

My body aches, my nose runs, I cough, it's hard to breathe, food and liquids go right through me...yeah, fun. Poor pitiful me. Lewis has been great through it all, though. He gets me my meds and even made the doctor's appt for me with about4 hours notice. He works at a hospital and has THAT KIND of pull. Well, not really, but it'd be kinda cool if you thought that. ;)

He went with me to the doctor and stayed in the exam room with me. Being that the doctor is a close and personal friend of ours, Lewis got to hear all my mucus doing the cumbia in my lower left lung lobe (ahhh, did you catch that? Alliteration at it's finest!!) with the stethoscope.

We are also embarking on doing some revamping of his rental condo. It's just going to be some cosmetic changes, but I am sure they will have a dramatic impact and look like we spent kajillions of dollars, even though Lewis is known for being frugal and budget minded...which is NOT a bad thing. It's actually one of the things I love about him.

His rental condo currently has the color palette of brown, brown, and more brown. And it has nothing to do with his last name. The people who used to live there even painted the white tile on the bathroom floor. Guess what color? Brown! Do you know how difficult it is to get paint up from tile after it's been sitting there for who knows how many years? Do you also know how stupid it is to paint the hardware as you are painting the cabinets? I promise to Sweet Baby Jesus, 8 lbs 4 oz, I will always remove hardware before painting. I promise.

If that wasn't enough, the previous tenants put up marbled teal contact paper on the cabinet doors and the bathroom wall. Yes, I'm talking about that adhesive paper stuff I thought only college students used in their dorm room. Yes, I confess, I've used that myself. But my paper was pretty. All flowery and stuff. And it was for a formica desk. I didn't use it as wallpaper and for accents!

But I digress. The men who used to live there and did this obscene home makeover were gay. I thought gay people were supposed to have some sort of gene that made them fabulous decoraters. Look at Nate Berkus from Oprah. Or the Asian guy and the old guy (Frank?) who used to be on Trading Spaces. All three gay, and all have awesome taste.

But that's okay, because when we get done with it, it's going to look like a little slice of heaven.

Today is also my Mom's birthday. I don't think she'd mind if I told you how young she was, but I'll let you ask when you call to wish her a happy birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo! thanks!

Karol Cabbiness said...

Ouch, you dissed me twice in your last two postings. I hadn't read your blog since June when I last updated mine. I wonder what you've said since then.