Monday, July 16, 2012

And so it begins...

I sometimes naively think I can shield the boys from the ugly things in this world. I forget I cannot keep them in a bubble and only expose them to things I approve of.

Two things Britton said to me today make me sad.

I've been going to the gym pretty regularly, and I leave the boys in the nursery area.  Britton usually doesn't want to leave when I return because he enjoys playing.  When we were walking out today, he asked me if he was a "big boy".  I told him he was a big kid.  He then looked at me with a sad look on his face and told me "the kids said I was a baby".  I took this to mean that the older kids probably didn't want to play with him because he was young and they called him a baby.  I know it's inevitable that he will get picked on at some point in his life, but this really hurt my heart.  He's barely three years old and already getting bullied for something he can't even control, his age.

Later that afternoon, we were outside and I reprimanded him for something.  He walked away from me and then turned around and said, "Mami, you're mean".  I was surprised to hear him say it because 1) he's never said that word, and 2) I don't use that word with him.  I usually say "That's not nice" about whatever it is that was mean or rude. I am guessing that the nursery worker perhaps told the kids that telling Britton he was a baby was a mean thing to say.  I don't know for sure.  But it just goes to show that his world is slowly and surely becoming more than just family and friends.

I just know that I can't be there to "save" Britton or Bishop all the time and it's my job as a parent to show them to speak up  and defend themselves.  And to do the same for those who aren't able to.


No comments: