Monday, June 18, 2012

Vacation 2012

We went on our first vacation as a family of 4.  I don't count trips to Anson as "vacations" because, well, just because.  And some may say that this really wasn't a vacation because my mom and dad met us there.  Maybe vacation isn't the word I should use.  Maybe I should call this a "trip where the 4 of us went somewhere other than Anson".  


We went to South Padre Island, where I've gone every year from about age 8-18.  And then some sporadic years here and there.  The last two times I went, it was with Lewis, before we were married.  We could do whatever we wanted, when we wanted, and we were all caught up in ourselves with no clue that the next time we would venture here, it'd be after 4 years of marriage and 2 kids later.

Before we even left, I knew this was not going to be as carefree as it once was.  For one, I was responsible for all the packing.  I don't think I know one family where the "mom" isn't the one who does the packing. At least Lewis packs for himself, but I'm sure he'd have no problem leaving me a list and telling me what to pack.

Secondly, we non-revved, which is basically standby.  On the way there, we lucked out big time with WAY open flights.  And not only that, it was the same flight number and aircraft the whole way.  We did have to stop in Dallas and San Antonio before getting to Harlingen, but that's a small price to pay for a free ride and not having to lug our stuff on and off the airplane more than once.  The boys did fabulous on all the flights.

Once we got to Harlingen, it was HOT and HUMID.  We rented a car and went on our way.  The next few days consisted of going to the beach, swimming in the pool, and hanging out in the room.  We also celebrated Lewis' 40th birthday while we were there.

Bishop wasn't a fan of the sand, but eventually did better with it.  Britton loved loved loved "la playa" and didn't want to leave.  Lewis attempted to fish, but didn't have much luck.  

Overall, it was a nice trip.  I rented a full size crib and highchair for Bishop and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  We had two efficiencies with a connecting door and it worked out great.

We had the rooms from Saturday to Saturday, but Lewis, the boys and I left on Thursday to go to Dallas.  And then on Friday, we drove down to Valley Mills to go to a family reunion.  On Sunday, Lewis, Bishop and I flew home while Britton went to Anson to spend a week with my parents.

Britton with our boarding passes as we left Amarillo.

Playing around inbetween flights.

Bishop trying to buckle the seatbelts.

Reading and relaxing during the flight (at least "some" of us got to do this).

Even Bishop got some "reading" time in.

Just relaxing in the room.

Ready for the beach!

Proper foot placement :)

Attempting to dig to China

Bishop "supervising" my dad

Me and the boys in the "little pool" (as Britton called it).

At Dirty Al's for Lewis' birthday dinner.  He had the fried shrimp.  I had the Blackened Fish.  

So cool with his sunglasses

I really love this picture of Lewis and Britton

No comments: