Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My new favorite side dish

I don't blog on here very often about food.  I don't know why, but I don't.

BUT!

I found this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and I.love.it.so.much.  I could eat the whole dish if I could.

I've made it twice.  The first time, with just whatever cheese I had one hand.  And I thought it was delicious.

But then I made it with the cheeses named in the recipe.  OH. MY. GOODNESS.  What I thought couldn't get better, DID GET BETTER.

Make this just like it says.  Brown those onions until they are crisp.






Upside Down Onion and Potato Tart


2 1/2 tablespoons butter


12 sprigs thyme, strip the leaves from the stems


1 large onion, sliced somewhat thickly ( a tad more than 1/4 inch thick)


1 lb. waxy red potatoes, washed and very thinly sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil


1/2 cup grated gruyère


1/2 cup crumbled feta


1 cup grated mozzarella


sea salt and cracked black pepper


Preheat oven to 400°. Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch ovenproof frying pan (cast iron is great) over medium heat. Add the thyme and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Place the potato, oil, cheeses, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine.


Top the onion with the potato mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down to serve.

No comments: