Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hello Crib!

Britton slept in his crib all night for the first time last night! He did so good!

He is a noisy sleeper and even though he has been sleeping several hours at a time at night, I was still waking up with the grunts and whimpers. We also use a nightlight when he is in our room, and both Lewis and I like to sleep in total darkness. Plus, he's getting too long for the bassinet and I'd rather transition him to the crib sooner rather than later.



I had been putting him down for naps in there to "give him the feel of it". He's been doing great. And now that we have the Angelcare Movement Monitor, I feel much more at ease that if something happens to him, we will be alerted.

I also made a copy of the white noise CD and bought a small boombox for his room. I am trying to duplicate the enviroment he had in our room exactly.

So last night, we went through our normal bedtime routine, which right now consists of a bath, a song and chatting while putting on the diaper and pajama's, and then a bottle. I swaddle him and then we then go to the room, where the CD player is already playing and the room is dimly lit with the night light. I rock him in my arms for a while and I lay him down drowsy, when his eyes are fighting to stay open. If he fusses when I put him down, I don't pick him back up, I softly rub his head and "shhhhhh" in his ear. I also pat him softly if I need to.

Britton has been going to bed between 8pm and 9pm. He then sleeps until about 4 to 5, and sometimes 6. He takes a bottle and sleeps for another 3-4 hours.

I have noticed he functions better when he takes a long morning nap and a shorter afternoon nap. He also takes about a 1 hr nap at 6pm, waking at 7pm. And we start the bedtime routine about 7:30 or 8pm. Britton apparently has not getten the memo about making this a permanent thing. It varies from day to day, but that's okay. I'm glad he is consistent with his nighttime sleep.

Lewis and I slept very well last night, with Britton in the crib. I think Britton slept better as well.

Hope it continues to go as well as last night!

Last night

No comments: