Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The weekend wrap up

We went on a hayride this past weekend.

It was a little different from the last hayride I went on. That one was in Missouri, about 3 years ago, when it was waaay dark, moving slowly on a dirt road with no streetlights, out in the middle of nowhere. We were on a flatbed trailer, sitting on hay bales, wrapped up in warm cozy blankets. After the ride, there was a bonfire and smores waiting for us.

This time around, the hayride was held in a horse trailer. We still sat on haybales, but you couldn't see anything outside, except through the slits. Not quite the quaint fall fantasy I had in mind, but it was still a good time spent with friends.

We also saw the movie "Knocked Up" this weekend. It wasn't as funny as I was expecting it to be, and if you are not a fan of the "f" word, I suggest not getting the untrated version.

We plan on going to Anson this weekend. We haven't been to visit since the family reunion in July. I don't think we will be seeing much of my dad, though. Ginning season has begun and ti's supposed to be a bumper of a crop.

My old ratty treadmill at the local gym has been replaced by a new one. I was so bummed when I walked in and saw it was gone. But I did find out that the Indianapolis hotel and the St. Louis hotel have them.

My brother Ricky turned 30 yesterday. Happy Birthday!

***Edit for Lillie***: "Ginning" means the process of the raw cotton going from the field to bales. You have to put it into a trailer or module, take it to the gin, and weigh it. Then it gets sucked into this vacuumn thing and gets cleaned. Another machine takes out the weeds, grasses, junkm etc and another maching combs out the cotton smooth. And yet ANOTHER machine separates the cotton from the seeds. The seeds are then spit out into this HUGE pile that we used to climb when we were kids but then we were forbidden from doing that anymore because of all the pesticides used. The seeds are sold for oil and other stuff. The clean smooth cotton left over is made into sheets and wrapped and pressed together really tight. Then baling wire is used to hold it all together. It gets wrapped in a yellow tarp, and that is how a cotton bale is born.

This makes me feel like a COTTON commercial. You know, the fabric of our lives. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must live under a rock because I have no idea what "Ginning" is. So what is it?

Lillie

Anonymous said...

lillie,

you dont live under a rock. actually, you live in a big city and dont know about these farming towns. its actually the franco family that lives under the rock!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving me the crash course and to be honest it was interesting.

I hope you and yours have wonderful holidays if I don't get to talk to you before then.

Lillie