Friday, September 21, 2007

I ran today...

There is an old treadmill machine in the OKC hotel we stay at. Usually I am a "machine snob" and don't like older machines. But in this case, this certain treadmill has a program I like. It let you vary the incline as it adjusts your speed. You set the maximum incline and your maximum speed. And then it does the rest of the work. When you are on little or no incline you go fast. Higher incline, a bit slower. I love the fact I don't have to touch the buttons as I am running. The newer machines make you manually do it as your run.

Here in Amarillo, Lewis and I belong to Gold's Gym. There is not much of a choice in gyms, and Gold's is the lesser of all the evils. There are two locations we can use and I normally go to the Puckett location because it is closer to the house and newer. I was meeting a friend for lunch near where the other gym was, so today I decied to go work out at the Blackburn location before meeting up with her.

I felt like running, since, well, I kinda have this thing called a race in about a week...and I figured I should get some actual running in, since it's a road race, and not a elliptical or stair climber race. So on a whim I decided to see if this other gym had a treadmill like the one in OKC. Bingo! Not only did they have one, they had THREE! Granted, they were old, but so what? The heart rate monitor thingy was broken, but since my honey got me a cool hert rate monitor watch for my last birthday, I don't rely on the machine to tell me my HR.

I ran 5 miles in 45 minutes. I know, that sounds so slow. But I am trying to convince myself I do not have to run at a full sprint the whole time. My heart rate was within the parameters of where I wanted it to be. The incline varied from 0 to 5.o and my speed was from 5.8 to 8.0. It was an awesome run. I felt like I could have gone a few more miles, but I was meeting my friend for lunch. For some reason, I like running on the treadmill better than outside because I can see my progess on the monitor. It wasn't always this way.

My iPod was not very kind to me today. It is an ancient "mini", and it is 2 1/2 years old. That is way past the time that Steve Jobs wanted me to get out of it. I have to charge the thing for like 12 hours to get a couple of hours use from it. It kept dying on me, and I'd have to turn it on everytime. I need a new one badly. But as I've said before, I am loathe to spend the money. There are less expensive MP3's out there, but I'm kinda liking the Apple thing. It's about the only Apple product I like. Lewis and I are supposed to be working on getting his SanDisc MP3 player loaded with my music.

I am so pumped that my run felt so good today.

Lewis and I are going out to dinner with friends later.

Work was kinda dull this week.

That's about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think we should train for a half marathon; it would be fun

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to pop in a comment to let you know that I still read your blogs and keep up with you that way. Life is busy. Miss ya.

Lillie