Tuesday, May 08, 2007

If my mind blogged instead of my fingers...

I often find myself, during the course of the day, thinking, "That'd be a good thing to blog about". It's happened a lot this past week.

Here's some stuff:

1) Last week in SAN, I happened to get into the slowest line ever at the security check point. As a crew member, we have the privilege of cutting to the front, but I HATE doing that because I feel sorry for the passengers who have been waiting patiently. But we were a little bit early, so I just waited like a normal person and didn't cut in line. However, the line I was in was apparently being used to train a new TSA person. He would call over a supervisor about every other bag and then 3 people would look at the image on the screen for what seemed like forever. All the while, my line is waiting while all the other lines are flowing smoothly. Just pull the damn bag in question out of the lineup and inspect it manually. How much time can 3 government workers possible waste by staring at a computer screen?

One of the TSA agents manning the "walk thru" motioned me to come to the front of the line. They'd done it earlier, but I'd waved her off, because as I said, I hate cutting in line. But I was close to running late by now, so I went to the front and started putting my things on the belt. All of a sudden, the man behind me started screaming, "Excuse me! I said Excuse me!". I promptly told the man I was a crew member and that I was very sorry to be cutting, but the TSA agent had motioned me forward. I then told him that if he really wanted to complain, it should be to the TSA who screens those of us ON the plane, and not those people who have ACCESS to the plane, like the rampers, ticket agents, fuelers, and provisioners. The three TSA people behind the computer screen just stared at me and said not one word. After I went through, one of the TSA guys told me that the main screener was "in training". I told him it might be a good idea to not train people at peak security line times and maybe put a sign up so travelers could make a decision whether or not to get in that line. He then told me, "Well, we're not (name of my airline). I responded with, "Obviously not, because if we ran our airline like you run TSA, we'd be bankrupt".


2) My aunt and uncle celebrated 25 years of marriage this past weekend. My dad also turned 58. There was a church service, a meal, and a dance. It was a good time. I'm glad I went.

3) I picked up a trip for time and half out of Dallas after my aunt and uncle's party. Which means I didn't have a chance to pack a food bag. So here I am on a FOUR day trip with no food. Granted, I'm not going to starve, but it's not cheap eating on the road, and the choices for healthy food aren't readily available. I've done pretty good today. Plus, the overnights that are on this trip have awesome gyms. So I can at least undo some of the damage. The biggest thing is not being able to snack on something healthy every few hours. I will not go on a trip without a food bag again.

4) Lewis has finally finished up his MBA. Congratulations, Babe! I think he had a 4.0 in all his graduate classes. What a smart man. ;)

5) I had a young boy (about 11) whistle to get my attention on the plane last night. I had passed his row and my back was to him. He was traveling with his parents and just wanted to get rid of some trash. I wasn't angry or anything for him whistling, but I did tell him that for future reference, it was disrespectful, and he wouldn't get any postive attention from girls like that. His parents laughed and said they had just told him the exact same thing.

6) Lewis and I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but we have taken to watching the Tudors on Showtime every Sunday. Anyone else watch it?

I'm off to shower for work. Denver tonight.

No comments: