Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My brave boy

I left on another trip today.  Just a little 2 day overnighting in ECP (Panama City Beach).

Jenni came over at 730am to get the kids ready while I finished getting myself ready.  Britton knew something was up as soon as he saw her and as soon as he saw me dressed in my uniform.  Bishop was in a great mood.

I picked Britton up as he started crying and he told me he didn't want to go to school.  He told me he didn't want to stay with Jenni.  So I asked him what he DID want to do.  "I want to stay with Mami", he said, as he patted me on the shoulder.

I told him Mami was going to go to work and that he needed to be a brave boy and help take care of Bishop. 

The look on his face hurt my heart.  Tears springing to his eyes, but his jaw set in being "brave".  I asked him if he could be brave for me.  He nodded yes, all the while, his eyes betraying him.  I kissed him and told him I loved him so much.

Then I carried him to the car to buckle him in.  At that point, he started crying again.  As much as it hurt me, I asked him to be brave and that Daddy would be home tonight and I would be home when I got back from work (no need to tell him that wasn't for 48 hours!).  I kissed each of his palms over and over and told him I was giving him extra kisses he could hold on to and when he needed one, he could just take one whenever he wanted.  His little fists were curled up so tight, holding on to his Mami's kisses for dear life.  I kissed him one more time, told him I loved him, and shut the door.  Through the window, I could see his brave face. I held up my hands, also in fists, and kissed them several times to remind him that he had my kisses no matter where he was.  As he drove away, my heart wanted to follow him and hold him and never let him go.

Jenni called me later and told me he did so good on the drive to school and getting into his classroom.  That made me feel better.

I hope Mami's kisses helped him feel better, too.

4 comments:

mindibz said...

So sorry he's having a tough time! These little boys just steal their momma's hearts (and apparently we steal theirs)!

april said...

awwww....makes me sad.

give them besitos from tia april!

Susan said...

Stop making me cry!

Becky said...

Oh this made me cry!!!!