Monday, April 27, 2009

4 weeks!

We'll do the pictures first this time:

Getting away from the constant serious look. He raises his arms and hands all over the place!

Sleepy eyes and so calm.

This is how I have to be posed when mama is going to swaddle me. Arms down by my side. I fight it, but in the end, I like it! It helps me sleep better.

Whew. Last week was a BUSY one.

Here it is in a nutshell:

1)Britton had an ultrasound on his right hip to see his "clicky hip" in more detail. Read the 3 week post for more info on how it went. We have not heard from his pediatrician, so that should mean all is okay.

2)I had an MRI, had fluid aspirated from my left hip, and had some blood drawn. I was ::this close:: to having surgery today to clean out the joint. We are still not ruling it out, but it is quite surreal to go from "doctor's appt to surgery" in the span of 6 days.

3)My parents came to visit!

4)Britton is now a formula fed baby. I gave him his last bottle of breast milk on Wednesday.

On Monday, I had a doctor's appt with an orthopaedist . I have been having pain in my left hip joint. It literally makes me cry unless I have been downing obscene amounts of ibuprofen. They took an x-ray, but all it showed was that my pelvic region looked normal. Due to the pain and my limited range of motion, the Dr suggested having an MRI done. So it was scheduled for Thursday. But because Lewis works at a hospital and KNOWS people, it was moved up to Wednesday. It took about 45 minutes, but it hurt SO bad to lie still for that long. Apparently my pain level increases when I am in a supine position. My eyes were watering towards the end of it and I wanted a pain pill like a fat kid wants chocolate cake. As soon as the tech said I could get up, I sat up, and the pain, although still there, subsided substantially.

The funny moment of the whole thing was that my boobs leaked and left me with wet spots. Nice. Thank goodness the tech was a girl.

The next day, the doctor called and told me the MRI showed fluid in my left hip joint and wanted me to get it aspirated. In two hours. So my MIL came over last minute to watch Britton and I headed up to the hospital. Getting the fluid out was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Ever since going through childbirth, I have turned into a "pain pansy". I do not like pain. I do not want to feel it. I do not like this about me, but pain now scares me.

So they draw the fluid and it is sent to the lab to get analyzed.

On Sunday afternoon, the doctor calls me and tells me he now wants me to go get some blood work done due to some of the findings on the fluid. We are still waiting on cultures, but he is thinking it maye be infected, which would not be good. Later that evening, after getting my blood drawn, he calls again and is really leaning towards surgery. As in opening up the hip and draining it.

Holy smokes.

Things have progressed quickly and seriously. He even mentioned doing the surgery last night, but I was in the process of eating dinner, so he said we may do it in the morning, pending the lab reuslts and some comparison of a previous blood draw.

This morning, he called, and we are in a "wait and see" mode. He's now leaning towards it not being an infection, but we still need to fix the problem. In the meantime, I am eating ibuprofen.

On another note, I am no longer breastfeeding. This is a decision I really really struggled with. I feel selfish and guilty for giving up, but I also feel liberated and free. I can tell you that I have been a MUCH happier person in the last few days. Britton is taking to the formula well. I do like knowing how much he is eating and the fact that others can feed him when I am not available.

Things are going much more smoothly than the early days. We seem to have a nice routine going and I'm more confident than I used to be. I still have my days, but for the most part, I think I'm doing pretty good. Being thrust into motherhood has made me more humble and has given me a new respect for mothers.

Britton is much more alert and definitely recognizes my face and my voice. He is such a good good good baby. Very calm, laidback, and mellow. Yes, he cries, but he doesn't cry for the sake of crying. I hold him and he just looks back at me with those beautiful eyes and makes cute shapes with his mouth and I wonder how I got so lucky to be his mama. He makes me laugh with his facial expressions and I can't wait until he can coo and smile and laugh.

My parents came to visit this past weekend. They are such a huge help to me and Lewis. My dad helped Lewis with work around the house and yard. My mom helped with cooking and cleaning. AND BEST OF ALL, Britton got to "spend the night" with my mom and dad in the guest bedroom! My mom got up with him both nights they were here and I got some much needed uninterrupted sleep! Yay mom!! Thank you!! They are coming back Mother's Day weekend. Britton sure is the magnet for his grandparents! I love having them here!

We took Britton to his first church service yesterday. He slept through it all. Our preacher announced Britton's attendance and Lewis and I as his parents. Britton was being held by a friend of ours, and he lifted Britton up "Lion King" style when the announcement was made. It was cute. :)

Unless surgery happens, this should be a low key week. Some of Lewis' co-workers are throwing a baby shower at the hospital on Wednesday, so we'll go out for that. I'm ready for cake! :)


Tiffany said...

elisa, britton just keeps getting more and more handsome! you must be such the proud mama!

Crissybug said...

I am so sorry about your hip! I can't imagine how painful it must be.

Also Kudos to you and the breastfeeding thing. You lasted much longer that I would have under those circumstances.