Sunday, September 09, 2007

Dove Hunting

I went dove hunting on Saturday with Lewis and his friend Jason.

It was hot. One of the good things about dove hunting is that you sit and wait for the birds to come to you. Several birds did come toward us, and Lewis shot several. I shot AT several, too. I didn't have much hope that I'd kill one, but not only did I shoot one, I shot TWO.

Granted, they each were hit by one single pellet, but they died, nonetheless.

There are so many things to think about when you are shooting. At first, I kept forgetting to turn off the safety. I'm trying to pull the trigger back like a mad woman and nothing happed. By the time I got the safety off, the bird was far away and Lewis had already shot it. I have to give him credit for letting me have first dibs at shooting anything that came our way.

Once I remembered to turn off the safety, I'd accidently out it back in safety mode after one shot. So when I missed on the first, my second shot would not fire. I finally figured out the safety thing, but it sure is difficult to shoot at a moving target when I have no experience whatsoever. Raise your gun, turn off the safety, keep both eyes open, follow through with your shot so the pellets spray wide...so many things to think about and so little time to shoot!

A cold front came though today and it's supposed to rain. So we may not get another opportunity to go dove hunting. It was fun, though. I would totally go again.

No comments: