Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Tales from the Plane

So I've worked the last 6 days. I am so ready for a break.

Overall, my two trips were pretty uneventful. Here are the "not so ordinary" things that happened.


1) A woman who looked like she'd had better days sat in the last row on the flight from MCO to MDW. She was laying down across the seats, her head towards the window, feet towards the aisle. The cabin is completely dark except for the light shining from the galley. As I went to pick up trash, I noticed she had on tennis shoes with no socks. "Ewww," I think to myself. Then it was double "Ewww" as I saw her gross dingy socks in the middle of the aisle. At least I didn't step on them. But it was the first time in my flying career that I have uttered the words, "Ma'am, will you pick up your socks from the aisle, please?".

2) A Captain in FLL asked who was flying "A". ("A" is the lead position on the plane. They work up front and have the most contact with the pilots.) I told him it was me. He then went on to tell me that the FO was a newbie and if I was feeling generous I could "flash" him. Ummm, no thanks. But I do know this happens as sort of an initiation to the new pilots. Rumor has it one girl "flashed" her genital piercing. I prefer not to participate in such things. Plus, there's nothing "generous" about my chest area.

3) The Captain and the FO got into a screaming match in the cockpit today. The door was wide open and the passengers were boarding. What a great impression we made.

4) When we do a "walk-through" through the cabin, most FA's raise thier hands and touch the overhead bins as they walk. Sometimes for balance, sometimes to double check that they're latched properly, sometimes so your arms don't swing and hit the people in the seats. My arms were up at one point and a man asked me, "What would you do if I tickled you? I've always wanted to do that when ya'll walk by.". I was speechless. But I did eventually find my voice and told him that I'd probably smack him upside the head. He and his friends laughed. But the thing is, I was serious. I would smack someone who touched me like that.

That's all for now. It's late.

1 comment:

chez bez said...

A screaming match? Yeah. That ain't good. What was the topic of disagreement?

As the shuttle driver, I've heard about the flashing stories before. The pilots must hate it when they work with three hairy legged male FAs.

;)